Learn How to Maximize the Lifespan of your Batteries
One of the most important factors that determines battery quality is its lifespan. How long do tool batteries last? That could depend on the battery’s type, Ah, voltage and cycle life (number of recharges, before losing the ability to retain energy). Most major power tool brands, such as DEWALT®, Milwaukee® or Makita carry a minimum 3-year warranty on their cordless tool batteries. However, in addition to the battery type and chemistry, there are external limitations and factors that may impact its lifespan. For example:
- Storage location: What is the state of the pack’s charge when you store it? Do you let it remain on the tool, on a charger, on a storage shelf, in a tool bag, or in your work truck, where it moves and bounces as you travel from site to site?
- Storage temperature: What is the average temperature of the space where you store your batteries? Usually, cooler the temperature, higher the number of recharges your battery will need. Since every battery has a limited cycle life, frequent recharging would mean you need to replace your battery sooner than its ideal lifespan.
Some general tips to maximize battery life are:
- Use your tools regularly and store them properly in a cool (not cold), clean environment
- Charge your battery to 100% between every use
- While storing batteries on the tool, keep the trigger in a locked position.
Whether you are a DIYer or a professional tradesperson, you want tool batteries that do not run out of juice halfway through a job, and do not need to be replaced sooner than their expected lifespan.At Ottawa Fastener Supply, we carry an extensive range of cordless power tools as well as quality accessories from reliable and reputed tool brands. If you have any queries or questions while selecting your power tools or accessories, our experienced technicians will be happy to assist you in making the right choices for your projects.
Visit our stores in Ottawa at 2205 Robertson Road in Nepean or in Gloucester at 3020 Hawthorne Road, or order your supplies through our online catalogue today.