Select Your Cordless Tools Wisely
While the convenience of cordless power tools makes them extremely valuable for DIYers, as well as professional tradespeople, a key aspect that sets them apart is how long these tools work between recharges. The letters “Ah” or “AH”(“amp-hour” or “ampere-hour”) that you see on your battery essentially denote the charge capacity. The number alongside the letters will tell you the total amount of current the battery will consistently deliver to your tool over the course of an hour. For example, a 2.0ah battery draws 2 amps of power and you will need to recharge it after 60 minutes of continuous use (under ideal circumstances).
Should Battery Capacity Influence Your Choice of Power Tools?
Batteries play a significant role in optimizing the performance of your power tools. Before selecting your power tools, consider some of these aspects related to the tool batteries:
- Capacity: What is the battery’s“Ah”? While theoretically a 4Ah battery should last double the time of a 2Ah battery, in reality there are other mitigating factors that determine battery capacity or longevity. This includes construction of the battery (NiCd or Lithium-ion) and the voltage of the tool.
- Charging time: How long does it take to recharge the battery to full capacity?
- Portability: How easy is it to carry the batteries around from one job to another? What are the potential risks during transportation?
- Storage criteria: Is there any specific temperature or manner in which you need to store the batteries?
- Cycle life: How many times can you recharge the battery before it needs to be replaced?
At Ottawa Fastener Supply, we carry a large selection of cordless tools, batteries and other accessoriesfrom reputed brands, such as DEWALT®, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee® and more. Our knowledgeable staff will be happy to assist you in making the best choice for your projects.
Need help in selecting your power tools or understanding more about the various battery types? Call us at 613-828-5311 or contact us online.