Plenty of new homeowners stop in to Ottawa Fastener Supply looking to stock a basic toolbox for general home repair. Even if you don’t plan on becoming an avid do-it-yourselfer or seasoned handyperson, occasions will arise when you need a tool. We thought you might benefit from our guide that gives you everything you need from The Tool Store to have a well-stocked toolbox.
- Claw hammer– When you visit us at The Tool Store in Ottawa, pick up a few of our claw hammers and test how they feel in your hand. You want one that’s 14-16 ounces and has a handle that will feel comfortable when you’re swinging it.
- Adjustable wrenches– Also known as crescent wrenches, these have jaws that widen or narrow with a thumbscrew. You should consider getting a small, medium and large because it always seems if you only buy one size, it’ll be the one you left behind that you need most!
- Screwdrivers– It’s best to get an assortment of screwdrivers with the bare minimum being a slotted or flathead, two sizes of Philips or star, and two Robertson or square. We also carry screwdriver sets that will include an assortment of types and sizes so you always have what you need in your toolbox.
- Pliers– The right pliers for a job can be like an extra set of hands when you need them most. Your pros from The Tool Store in Ottawa recommends a set of needle nose for tight spaces, channel locks for plumbing, wire cutting pliers so you don’t destroy knives or kitchen shears and a pair of vice grips for tough nuts.
- Tape measure and level– Save yourself a lot of grief by getting a tape measure rather than relying on your eye for sizing. There’s a reason for the old adage of “measure twice, cut once”. A level will be useful for everything from hanging pictures to ensuring your refrigerator runs efficiently.
- Lightweight drill– No need to find the biggest and the best in power tools, but a lightweight drill makes a lot of small tasks far easier than attempting them by hand.
- Hand or power saw– Even if you don’t plan to build anything, when you need to cut a pipe or board for any reason, it’s nice to have the right tool on hand to save time and energy.
It may sound like a lot for a basic set of tools, but it’s truly not as daunting as you’d think. Ottawa Fastener Supply has an excellent team of professionals who can make your visit to The Tool Store a breeze and help you make sure to get exactly what you need. Stop in and see us today!