Under provincial law, every construction worker is required to wear a hardhat when working sites with hard-surfaced materials or near electrical conductors. Understand how to buy a hard hat for the job and how to take care of the hat. Reduce the risks of injuries by choosing the correct safety gear for Ottawa construction sites.
Safety Headwear Classes
Hard hats are classified by the type of protection offered.
- Type 1 – this type of headwear protects from impact at the top of the hard hat.
- Type 2 – type 2 hard hats have an integrated foam impact liner that reduces the force of an impact to the top and the sides of the head.
In addition, each type of hard hat comes in one of these three classes:
- Class E: head protection against high voltage (20,000 V electrical rating)
- Class G: head protection against low voltage (2,200 V electrical rating)
- Class C: no electrical protection
What to Know About Safety Headgear
Safety equipment in Ottawa must be taken care of appropriately. Do not store hard hats in the back window of a car, because heat and sunlight can damage the material. When a hard hat has been impacted, it must be removed from service. Inspect hard hats annually and replace the liner each year. Replace the shell at five-year intervals.
Find all the safety equipment you need at our safety supply store in Ottawa. Keep your workers safe with high-quality safety gear that is affordable and meets all provincial regulations.